Here are some articles that inspire me:
- Stevey's Google Platforms Rant
- False-positive alerts, non-collaborative BI, inaccurate metrics, and what to do about them
- Measure Anything, Measure Everything
Here are some projects I've spent time on outside of work:
- the plural of anecdote collects the medical experiences of patients and their families, contrasting cost, wait time, and outcome from different healthcare systems.
- bt, a distributed file-sharing application. Implemented in multi-threaded C using TCP sockets. Click to read more.
Here is a list of my publications:
- McMahan, A., & Tortell, R. (2004). Virtual reality and internal experience. VR 2004. Chicago, IL.
- Tortell, R., & Morie, J. F. (2006) Videogame play and the effectiveness of virtual environments for training. Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation & Education Conference 2006. Orlando, FL.
- Tortell, R., Luigi, D. P., Dozois, A., Bouchard, S., Morie, J. F., & Ilan, D. (2007). The effects of scent and gameplay experience on memory of a virtual environment. Virtual Reality 11 (6), p. 61 - 68.
- Morie, J. F., Williams, J., & Tortell, R. (2007). Would you like to play a game? Experience and expectation in game-based learning environments. In O'Neil, H., & Perez, R., editors, Computer Games and Team and Individual Learning. Oxford, UK: Elsevier Science.
- Gao, J., Tortell, R., & McClelland, J. L. (2008). Integrating reward and stimulus information in a perceptual decision making task. Neuroscience 2008, Washington, D.C.
- Gao, J., McClelland, J. L., Rorie, A., Tortell, R., & Newsome, W. (2009). Decision making without bounds? Evidence from humans and monkeys. Cosyne 2009, Salt Lake City, UT.